Saturday 10 July 2010

The path of righteousness

"As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: 'Be holy, because I am holy.'" 1 Peter 1: 14-16

Nine months since the last entry. In one sense, little has changed. I still feel I am in the silence. I am still challenged about Sabbath. I still believe the Kingdom is simpler than we make it. Yet in another sense the challenge is becoming increasingly real. In the silence I am slowly learning to listen to God. In the silence I am learning to recognise his voice.

Last Sunday I was forced to reflect on my strap-line, and realised it is a contract in three parts. Firstly "seek first the kingdom". Secondly "seek his righteousness". And thirdly "all these other things will be added unto you..."

In my search for the kingdom it is easy to leap from the first to the third, as if seeking alone were enough. But righteousness living is important to God too. He recognises that is not easy, and grace is his provision for that. But that does not absolve me from trying. As Paul concludes in Romans 6 to go on sinning in order that grace may abound is to deny the reality of my new life in Christ...

No comments: