Saturday 31 July 2010

The hallmark of the kingdom

"Ooh, your love is a symphony, all around me, running through me.
Ooh, your love is a melody, underneath me, running to me.
Oh your love is a song..."
Your love is a song (Switchfoot)


If you were to ask anyone on the street what is the first word that comes into mind when they think of Christianity, I wonder what they would say? Somehow I doubt for many that the word woul be love. Yet in John's Gospel Jesus says love is the mark by which we will be known as his disciples. Our love for one another. It comes right after Jesus demonstrates his love for his disciples by washing their feet. It come not long before Jesus demonstrates his love for the whole world by sacrificing his life.

Practical love means not judging. Not excluding. Not obsessing over doctrine or theology. Practical love means getting our hands dirty and engaging with people where they are. Mind you, I'm not saying it is something I'm good at - but it is definately something to aspire to!

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing."

1 Corinthians 13: 1-4

No comments: